Sunday, April 23, 2006

Good Guys at Grass Gator

We had put one of those plastic blade attachments on our "weed eater" a couple years back and it finally wore down to the nubs at the end of last summer. We had replacement blades but I couldn't get the housing off. I finally called the 800 number at CMD Products for the Home and Garden: Grass Gator, Xcalibur, pestNOmore, and BagClips. I expected no help or to talk to a sleepy person in India, but a very suburban america sounding man answered the phone at 7:00 PM my time. "Hold the line spool housing and turn the grass gator to unscrew the set nut," I was told. "Tried that," I said, "The plastic Grass Gator spins around the nut rather than turning it." "Okay, spray it with some WD-40 and try again." I let him know I'd tried that a couple weeks ago, twice. "Okay, I don't want you to mess up your trimmer -- cut the plastic on the Grass Gator, I'll send you a new one, no charge."

Sure enough a new one was in my mailbox 3 days later from California. I used a Dremel type cutter wheel to get rid of the plastic, then a standard socket wrench and 2 people's worth of torque to remove the screw. This new 'Gator is made of a harder plastic so hopefully it will do better at removal when the time comes. But they sent new blades on the new Gator so I'm all set for now. Thanks.

No comments: